All about stress: causes, symptoms and unexpected effects
Stress has become a part of daily of life our – is on the lips of all and appears to be enemy number one of society modern. Basically, anything can cause stress – from traffic at the place of work and family, the children or friends. In this article we will see what are the effects of stress and how it can be overcome. We will talk about:
- What is stress;
- What happens in the body when they are subjected to stress;
- Causes of stress;
- Symptoms of stress;
- Types of stress;
- Eating on the basis of stress;
- Stress the place of work;
- The effects of stress;
- Stress management;
- Stress treatment.
I believe that stress is almost impossible to avoid in the days of our – but are convinced that we can change the way in which we relate to it.
Iulia Băltărețu, psychotherapist of the Oana Nicolau Clinic
What is stress?
Stress is the pressure you feel on the shoulders of our time when we are overwhelmed by activities daily and you try to do to all the tasks they have to fulfill – or at the place of work, in relationships, family or in various situations. Any aspect that is perceived as a threat to personal well-being can cause stress, and the effects on our body are undoubtedly negative.
Paradoxically, stress isn’t in totally negative, it is an element essential to the survival of the species. He is reacting normally of defense of the body against danger, any would be it. When it appears a source of stress, the body its operating resources internal to protect. Responsible for this work is the reaction of the body of type ” fight or flee ” (in English: fight or flight), the reaction generated by an area of the brain called the hypothalamus. When a person is located in situations dangerous (sounds strong, a machine that passes the speed very close, etc.) hypothalamus reacts and gives the order to send the body neurotransmitters and hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol, in order to prepare the defense in the face of danger. Heartbeat May quickly, and blood is redistributed mainly to the muscles and brain. The person becomes energetic, and the ability to concentrate on immediate needs increases.
The functions of adrenaline
- Increases pulse and blood pressure;
- Expand the airways, increasing the rate of breathing;
- Modify your metabolism for the access quickly deposits of glucose;
- Contract vessels of blood so that it should be forwarded to the muscles and brain;
- It generates perspiration;
- Inhibits the production of insulin.
In addition to adrenaline it is important to mention and cortisol, known as hormone stress. He plays an essential role in stressful situations. Functions of cortisol:
- Increased levels of glucose in the blood;
- It helps the brain to use glucose in a way in May effectively;
- Increase the ability of the body of the and repair tissues;
- Reduce temporarily certain functions of the body that are not essential in that moment, for their turn at a maximum in those that can save lives;
- It modifies the response of the immune system;
- Affect areas of brain that controls fear, motivation and state of mind.
All of these processes support effective coping with stress and are crucial for survival.
But maintaining a level high of cortisol for too much time has an effect negatively on health and can lead to:
- Increase in weight;
- High blood pressure;
- Problems related to sleep;
- Lack of energy;
- Diabetes type II;
- Disorders of mental and problems of memory;
- The weakened immune system, high vulnerability to infections.
However, once the response to stress, the body would have to relax. The problem occurs when this thing does not happen, for the sources of stress are constantly present. Thus, increasing the risk of occurrence of certain effects harmful to the health of the term run.
What happens in the body when they are subjected to stress?
The most important changes, which occur in the body when you level of stress remains consistently high, are:
- Blood pressure and pulse rise and remain at values higher;
- Breathing becomes May fast;
- Functions of the system digestive and of the immune are slow;
- The muscles become tense;
- A state of alertness/alert appears, which prevents the normal installation of sleep.
Because we are different, the stress as well it affects the way different. How reaction in the face of situations stressful influences the way in which stress affects the state of health.
We are talking, in general, two types of stress: stress negative (distress) and stresses positive (eustress).
Not only the negative stress, the one we talked about so far, can have negative effects on the body, but also the positive stress. With all that past us out of the area of comfort and we help to evolve, this thing is not it relieves the effects potentially negative.
Even and experiences considered positive can generate states of stress: the birth of a child, a holiday, organizing a wedding or to a party, etc., involves an effort, in addition, responsibilities November and the need to adapt. All this means advantage the unknown, and the question that arises is how we do against. It is important to realize how a personal reaction to the factors of stress, for a- and can minimize the effects of negative and for the manage May well.
Do you constantly struggle with deep states of stress?
Our specialists are with you, to find your peace.
The causes of stress
According to a study conducted on a sample of a thousand people, 98% of the Romanian suffering from stress, but in May than half of them receiving the treatment. For 78% of respondents, the place of work is the main factor of stress, followed by a relationship with superiors or colleagues from work. For 27% of those who participated in the study, problems of the family are those that cause nervousness.
On the good right stress, it is referred to by a specialist’s illness century, for that almost any situation daily can cause stress, having in view the pace fast progress of the world in which we live. With all this, the way in which we react to stress is different – that what for one person may seem stressful, for one other person there will be.
Events Major of life that can be sources of stress
- Problems at the place of work or withdrawal of the pension;
- Lack of time free and the money;
- Loss of people dear;
- Problems in the family;
- Problems of health;
- Changing home;
- Relationships, marriages, separations;
- The survival of a crash, an event unhappy or an illness that put lives in danger;
- Taking care of a person close to the suffering of a disease chronic (for example, dementia);
- Practicing a dangerous job;
- An imbalance between life personal and the professional, too many hours of work or a place of work that you hate;
- Losing a pregnancy;
- Pregnancy and the appearance of a child;
- Time spent in -traffic crowded;
- Problems with neighbors;
- Exposure to excessive noise, crowding, pollution;
- Uncertainty or expectation of an important event.
In addition to these reasons, some people may be in May stressed than others in the case in which suffering already from certain diseases mental identified, such as depression or anxiety.
For such, some people are faced with a state of stress after an event traumatic as it would be an accident or a form of abuse, known as the disorder of Stress Traumatic. People who place the work stressful, as would be the soldiers who fought on the front, are monitored after such an incident to prevent the occurrence of this disease.
Symptoms of stress
- Pain in the chest or back;
- Twitching muscle;
- Erectile dysfunction, loss of libido;
- State of unconsciousness;
- Cardiovascular diseases;
- High blood pressure;
- Weakened immune system;
- Muscle pain;
- Disorders nerve;
- Difficulties related to sleep;
- Digestive problems.
- Problems of concentration;
- Fatigue accentuated;
- Feeling of insecurity, anxiety;
- Loss of memory;
- The habit of a- and off nails;
- Feeling sadness.
- A tendency to eat too much or too little;
- Nervous and sudden outbursts;
- Abuse of drugs and alcohol;
- Consumption May than tobacco;
- Social isolation;
- Crying frequently;
- Problems in the relationship;
- Chronic pain.
Types of stress
Experts argue that stress can be of three types:
It is the stress experienced in the short term and is the most common form of stress. The whole world goes through stress acutely, the reaction immediately the body to situations and challenges in November.
It is caused often by thoughts generated in the following pressure of events which just have been or which are to happen in the future near. Once that this place, the source of stress disappears. No effect on the time long and symptoms include pain headaches and problems digestive. However, episodes repeat the stress acutely a period long can transform the stress chronic, having, therefore, effects adverse to the body.
Acute episodic stress
People who experience frequent states of stress or of whose life includes factors frequent that triggers stress is faced frequently with episodes of stress acute. For example, a person who has too many tasks at the place of work and not may hold may present symptoms of stress episodic.
These include irritability and tension that can affect relationships with those of others. People that they are too many worries of different reasons, in constantly, can face, for also with this type of stress. It can lead to high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
It is the most dangerous type of stress and produces its effects over a long period of time. A situation materially poor or a relationship unfortunate can cause stress chronic – then when a person does not see any way out and not in May can search for solutions. Sometimes, it can be caused and an experience traumatic taken in during life.
Unfortunately, stress chronically may have effects not observable, because the person that they can get used to them, the time that symptoms can include thoughts of suicide and violence. Stress acutely affect life on longterm and can contribute to:
- Cardiovascular diseases;
- High blood pressure;
- A weakened immune system;
- Accidents vascular brain.
Factors that contribute to the state of stress:
- Environment-friendly (place of work, school, relationships personal, the family);
- Emotional and personal problems.
The link between stress and anxiety
Chronic stress and anxiety are interconnected. Although with all we experience at some given state of anxiety, the disorder of anxiety is different from the anxiety of day to day – can last May long time and can interfere with life daily.
Anxiety can be treated with psychotherapy and medication. A physician will decide the May good option, in the function of the symptoms. Left untreated, anxiety can lead to depression rather the serious.
Eating on the basis of stress
Some people react to stress by eating – can eat in the middle of the night, even if they are hungry or purely and simply eat in May more than usual.
In consequence, eating on the basis of stress bring May more calories than is necessary, for that (the May perhaps) food choice there is the May sound – which you lead to increase rapidly in weight and the other problems of health. And, the most important aspect is that it does not solve the causes of stress.
Stress at place of work
Place of work can be a source of serious of stress, either acute or chronic. Symptoms of stress caused by place of work are:
- Feeling that not can control what you are going;
- The feeling of being stuck in a job you do not like and the inability to find solutions;
- Conflicts with colleagues or the boss;
- Over-demanding, too many tasks to accomplish.
If experiments any symptom of those listed in May above, stress is inevitable. A solution is either to quit the place of work respectively or to try to reach a balance between life professional and the personal. Otherwise, you are heading for exhaustion.
The effects of stress
Stress affects us in many ways:
- It affects our health. Lead to diseases cardiovascular, diabetes type 2, problems with system digestive, sore muscles, pain, headache, dysfunction erectile or impotence, system immune weakened, etc.;
- It affects us emotionally. It can cause depression, anxiety, anger, states of agitation, frustration;
- It affects the way in which we think. Reduce the power of concentration, causing loss of memory, apathy, increasing inability to make decisions, etc.;
- It affects our behavior. It can lead to abuse of alcohol and for tobacco, insomnia, prone to accidents, problems with weight, behavior, obsessive-compulsive disorder, states of nervousness, etc.
Some changes in the style of life are required for the handle and prevent the feeling that we are overwhelmed:
- Practicing an activity Physical: already are well- known benefits that have sport on the state of physical and mental;
- Reducing consumption of alcohol, caffeine, tobacco or other substances – for that they a aggravate the symptoms of stress;
- Adopting a diet balanced: a diet balanced and healthy, with a quantity sufficient for fruits and vegetables, maintain a system immune strong in the face of stress;
- Prioritizing the daily program: it is advisable to organize our daily activities so that we do not feel overwhelmed;
- The practice of techniques of relaxation: yoga, meditation or going to a massage for relaxation. Techniques of breathing can prove, by also useful for of us help to us relax;
- Communication with those closest: family, friends, colleagues about what we are concerned;
- Finding your own remedy to stress: a time when we are faced with situations stressful, it is appropriate to do something that makes us happy, as would be to read, to us walk in nature, to listen to music or to we see a friend;
- Asleep 7-8 hours per night;
- Maintaining an active social life;
- Avoiding unnecessary conflict situations.
Next of all, need to identify sources or factors of stress. Managing stress is useful for that:
- Eliminates or changes the source of stress;
- Change the way in which we look at a situation stressful;
- Lessen the impact that stresses you may have the body of our;
- They learn alternatives to make stress.
For a good management of stress, it is important to:
- Understand what situations you do to make you feel stressed;
Understand what you can and what not can control;
Try to do things that you do to make you feel good and happy every day.
If you experience symptoms of stress and not can detect the causes, it is necessary to call to help medical specialists, and namely the counseling psychological.
A psychotherapist can help to identify and to remove the causes of stress, recommending treatment suitable in the function of symptoms. The sessions of psychotherapy individuals and techniques of relaxation can prove useful in this regard. Medication is not necessary, but if you suffer from other diseases, such as depression or anxiety.
Although stress is a part normal of life, sometimes can be overwhelming and can become harmful to the state of our mental and physical. Fortunately, there are ways to make front and to minimize the effects of it. You have only to find those which are suitable for you.
Te lupți constant cu stări profunde de stres?
Specialiștii noștri sunt alături de tine, pentru a-ți regăsi liniștea.